When Should I Hire a Slip and Fall Lawyer?

In many states, you can sue for injuries stemming from a slip and fall incident. A slip and fall lawyer will help you get the compensation due to you for your medical bills, lost wages, pain, and suffering, and more. You should hire a slip and fall attorney if:

What Can I Recover When I Sue?

Compensation in a slip and fall lawsuit will depend on a number of factors related to the incident itself, including:

These are just some examples. Each claim is unique in its own way, so you should speak with your attorney about whether or not you have a case. It’s also important to note that the laws vary from state to state. In certain states, you must file a claim with the state prior to filing with the court. This varies depending on your circumstances, so you should speak with a local attorney for specific requirements in your area.

Types of Accidents A Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help With

Slip and falls can occur anywhere, including public streets, parking lots, private property, and more. Generally speaking, if you suffer an injury because of a dangerous condition or hazard at another’s property (rather than your own), you are entitled to pursue compensation through the civil courts.

If there was nothing wrong with the surface when you slipped and fell, but someone else caused you to fall (e.g., they bumped you in a crowd or distracted you), then you can still file a claim.

Recoverable Damages in a Slip and Fall Claim

There are several types of damages that may be recoverable when you successfully win your slip and fall lawsuit:

When filing a suit, one of the first things to do is obtain copies of police reports, incident reports, witness statements, your hospital records (including treatment notes and discharge reports), and anything else that will help prove the case.

How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?

You have three years from the date of the incident to file a claim for injuries suffered in a slip and fall accident. This time limit is called a statute of limitations. If you have been injured in a slip and fall, contact a slip and fall attorney as soon as possible. You may be entitled to compensation that can help pay your medical bills, replace lost wages, cover the cost of ongoing care (e.g., physical therapy), and other expenses related to your injury or trauma.

How Do I Find an Attorney?

To find a slip and fall attorney, you can conduct an internet search to see if any personal injury attorneys in your area have experience handling these kinds of cases. You can also get a referral from the state or local bar association for a list of attorneys who may handle slip and fall claims. If you need immediate assistance after suffering a slip and fall injury, you can call a lawyer directly.

You may also want to contact the State Bar Association for referrals. This is an additional avenue that can help you find the right attorney to represent you.